for appointments call 02 9542 3491

What Kind Of Tests Do I Need for PVD?

Today we are going back to our blogs on peripheral vascular disease (PVD).  So here we go….., your health provider will ask questions about your symptoms.  He or she will examine your feet and legs and feel for pulses, located in the groin, behind the knee, at the ankle, and on the top of the foot.  You may need to have the blood pressure in your ankles, arms, legs, and toes checked. ( The arteries in toes don’t get stiff, so measuring blood pressure there may be more accurate.)  A Doppler machine may be used; this test is painless.  You may need a test to measure how much oxygen gets to the skin of your feet.  If you have an ulcer that won’t heal or areas of your foot that break down despite wearing properly fitted shoes, you may need tests such as special xrays and scans.

These tests give pictures of the blood flow from your thigh to your toes.  For arteriogram x-rays, you get an intravenous injection of a special solution so that the blood vessels shoe up clearly on the x-ray.  This solution is called ‘dye’, although it really does not change the colour of anything.  People with poor circulation should consult with a vascular surgeon, a doctor who specializes in this type of problem (and there are some excellent vascular specialists in the Shire).  If you have questions, ask your provider and the people performing the tests to explain things to you.

We have HICAPS available in our clinic, which means that our patients can claim from their private health fund straight away

Read More

Contact Us

Shop 2/17-19 East Parade
Sutherland, NSW 2232

Tel: 02 9542 3491